Interview with Fujitsu Enterprise Postgres
Any views or opinions represented or expressed in this interview belong solely to the interviewee and do not neccessarily represent those of the PGConf.EU 2022 organization, PostgreSQL Europe, or the wider PostgreSQL community, unless explicitly stated.
- In which areas do you expect PostgreSQL to grow most and how does your company contribute to and benefit from that growth?
We expect PostgreSQL to do better in performance, scalability, availability, and easier upgrades to newer version. We do contribute in all of these areas but our primary focus is to improve PostgreSQL’s Logical Replication solution which helps to achieve better availability and easier upgrades to newer version.
PostgreSQL adoption is expected to grow in response to client demands for a mature OLTP database with flexible deployment options required for quick-to-market business transformation and application modernisation initiatives without a large price tag.
FUJITSU Enterprise Postgres delivers on these requirements whilst also delivering critical organisational requirements for Security, Availability, Resilience and Automation, out of the box. Furthermore, FUJITSU Enterprise Postgres is 100% compliant with Open Source PostgreSQL, ensuring no vendor lock-in, and is 100% supported by Fujitsu.
- Which feature is missing in PostgreSQL?
We would love to see logical replication of DDL commands, and a better way to allow N-Way logical replication which helps distributed workloads.
Flashback database is also something that is often requested. Delayed standby is more cumbersome, risky, and timely.
- Which PostgreSQL extension do you benefit from most, and why?
Out the box features that come standard on Fujitsu Enterprise Postgres.
- Transparent Data Encryption: Can be enabled across any deployment configuration, from bare metal/LPAR to containerized (level 5 operator) & can be implemented with zero code changes at the application layer.
- Data Masking: Provides the ability to hide sensitive data in Production from unauthorised access and replace/obfuscate data when refreshing non-production databases. Ensuring legislative compliance & limits potential attack vector from malicious internal & external actors.
- HTAP: Proprietary performance improvements embedded in Fujitsu Enterprise Postgres enable clients to execute Hybrid Transactional & Analytical Processing (OLTP + OLAP) workloads simultaneously within the same database. Removing the need to create data silos for analytical work & enables clients to execute time sensitive analytics on stream data.
- High Availability: Transparent Failover of application workload in the event of failure of the primary database is unique to Fujitsu Enterprise Postgres.
- Level 5 Operator: Containerised deployment with unique features that may be orchestrated using RedHat Open Shift or SUSE Rancher.
- Which of your company’s contributions to the PostgreSQL Project (code/community/conference) are you most proud of?
For the past few years, we have been working with the community to improve Logical Replication solution. Support of two-phase commit and ability to apply row filters in Logical Replication were among some of the features which we feel good about.
FUJITSU was a major contributor to the Open Source PostgreSQL Version 14 release, continuing it 20+ year commitment to Open Source Postgres and ongoing support of the community.
- What is your PostgreSQL centred product?
FUJITSU Enterprise Postgres Advanced Edition Version 14 is the latest enterprise edition of Postgres with built-in Security, Availability, Resilience and Automation features, fully supported by Fujitsu. The product is supported on RHEL, SUSE and Windows for deployment as native/bare metal, virtualized and Level 5 Operator.