Interview with Laurenz Albe
- How to handle 1000 application users
- Thursday, 10:30
- Could you briefly introduce yourself?
I live in Vienna, am 53 years old, married with three children and do support, consulting and training for Cybertec.
- How do you engage with the PostgreSQL Community?
I follow the mailing lists, try to help people and occasionally contribute code to PostgreSQL and related projects. I maintain the Oracle Foreign Data Wrapper.
- Have you enjoyed previous PostgreSQL Europe conferences, either as an attendee or as a speaker? (PGConf.EU, FOSDEM PGDay, Nordic PGDay, pgDay Paris, PGConf.DE)
Oh, yes, very much. Actually, it was a conference that got me hooked on PostgreSQL (European PGDay 2010)
- What will your talk be about, exactly? Why this topic?
The talk will mostly be about database connection management. In my daily life as a consultant and troubleshooter, I see that most people have no idea how to manage database connections and get all kinds of performance problems because of that.
- What is the audience for your talk?
Application designers and developers, but also database administrators. The talk is about the area between application and database.
- What existing knowledge should the attendee have?
Basic database knowledge is enough (need not be PostgreSQL). You might be able to connect better to the topic if you have some working experience with database applications.
- What is the one feature in PostgreSQL 15 which you like most?
Probably MERGE, since it is in high demand.
- Which other talk at this year’s conference would you like to see?
Most of them. Unfortunately I cannot bilocate yet…
- Which measure, action, feature or activity would—in your eyes—help to accelerate the adoption of PostgreSQL?
Perhaps multi-master replication, although many people would use it for the wrong reasons…